PSB Speakers, innovator of high-fidelity speakers since 1972, releases the Passif 50 Anniversary Edition Standmount Loudspeaker in celebration of its 50-year milestone. The design and technologies of the Passif 50 model leverage five decades of dedicated research and pay homage to the early Passif II model first released in 1974. As a show of gratitude for the brand’s devoted fanbase, the first 500 units sold of the Passif 50 will contain a handwritten letter from Paul Barton and includes a QR code with an offer to receive a gift pack that includes a cotton canvas backpack, double-walled water bottle, and commemorative keychain.
The Passif 50 features 1970s-inspired elements like an open-grained walnut veneer cabinet, magnetically attached woven cloth grilles, and dedicated stands. The loudspeaker evokes a sense of nostalgia with its retro details while being constructed with modern materials that align to current tastes. Other unique embellishments include a pull tab on the front grille, which sports the retro PSB logo – originally hand-drawn by Paul in his high school geography class – and a rear-panel plaque adorned by a maple leaf with an inscription that reads, “Passif 50 – 1972-2022.”
The design of the Passif 50 mirrors its famous 1970s forefather but incorporates the most current flagship-level components and benefits from 50 years of acoustic research. The result is a loudspeaker with classic 70’s looks but achieves a level of performance well beyond the capabilities of its ancestors.
The titanium dome tweeter employs a powerful neodymium magnet and ferrofluid damping, for higher output, improved power handling, and reduced distortion. A phase plug in front of the tweeter’s dome directs the tweeter’s output to ensure a wide and consistent dispersion well beyond the traditional listening window. The result is a speaker which creates a wide and deep soundstage with very acute imaging which isn’t reliant on a precise listening position. A felt pad surrounding the tweeter minimizes edge diffraction for improved transparency and more stable imaging.
The woofer and passive radiator have cast aluminum baskets that resist flexing, and filleted rubber surrounds that dampen cone resonances, resulting in smoother response and reduced distortion. Considerable engineering effort was invested in refining the interaction between the woofer and the passive radiator. The result is a state of a perfect balance of their opposing forces.
All joints in the heavily braced enclosure are mitred for improved fit and finish and reduced cabinet vibration. Featuring dual five-way binding posts, the Passif 50 can be bi-wired or bi-amped.
The Passif 50 is now available to order online with shipping this September and retails at USD $2499/GBP £2499/EUR €2999/CAD $3299.
PSB Passif 50 Anniversary Edition Features
- 1″ titanium dome tweeter with ferrofluid damping and neodymium magnet
- 6.5″ woofer and 8″ passive radiator with cast aluminum baskets, paper cones, and filleted rubber surrounds
- Retro-styled open-grained walnut veneer enclosure and dedicated speaker stands
- Magnetically attached woven cloth grilles
- 50th-anniversary design touches, including the original PSB logo and pull tab on the grille, and a rear-panel plaque that reads “Passif 50 – 1972-2022,” adorned by a maple leaf
- Felt surrounding the tweeter minimizes edge diffraction
- Bi-wirable/bi-ampable five-way gold-plated binding posts
- Speaker alone dimensions: 660mm H x 280mm W x 2540mm D (26” x 11” x 10”)
- Speaker with stand dimensions: 870mm H × 280mm W × 254mm D (34” x 11” x 10”)