BMW Motorrad has announced the latest addition to the R 18 family, the R 18 Roctane, joining its siblings R 18, R 18 Classic, R 18 B, and R 18 Transcontinental. Embracing the rich history and heritage of BMW Motorrad, this new model seamlessly combines cutting-edge motorcycle technology with a design that pays homage to a bygone era.
Drawing inspiration from iconic BMW models like the BMW R 5, the BMW R 18 showcases the essence of motorcycling in its purest form. With its minimalist and authentic approach, this bike celebrates the timeless appeal of the boxer engine, placing it at the core of the exhilarating riding experience. The R 18 Roctane’s design language flawlessly merges classic aesthetics with contemporary elements, resulting in an intriguing and captivating concept that promises a unique emotional journey. Notably, the bike features a rear section designed in a distinctive “streamlining” style.
At the heart of the BMW R 18 Roctane beats the legendary 2-cylinder flat twin engine, aptly named the “big boxer.” Boasting an imposing appearance, this powerplant pays tribute to the traditional air-cooled boxer engines that have been synonymous with BMW Motorrad since its inception in 1923. With a displacement of 1,802 cc, it proudly stands as the most potent 2-cylinder boxer engine ever produced in a motorcycle series, delivering a remarkable output of 67 kW (91 hp) at 4,750 rpm. It ensures a continuous surge of torque, exceeding 150 Nm within the 2,000 to 4,000 rpm range, accompanied by an enthralling soundtrack. The Avus black metallic matt finish, along with the black high-gloss covers, further accentuates the engine’s imposing presence, complemented by the dark chrome exhaust system and star counter nuts.
The R 18 Roctane features a double-loop tubular steel frame as the foundation of its chassis, carrying on the longstanding tradition of this frame type in BMW Motorrad’s history. Exhibiting exceptional craftsmanship and meticulous attention to detail, the frame showcases the seamless integration of welded joints between steel tubes and cast or forged components. Drawing inspiration from the iconic BMW R 5, the rear swinging arm features a similar design and utilizes bolted connections to enclose the rear axle drive.
In terms of suspension, the BMW R 18 Roctane deliberately forgoes electronic adjustment options. Instead, it employs telescopic forks and a directly linked central sprint strut with travel-dependent damping and adjustable spring preload, ensuring precise wheel control and responsive suspension comfort. Similar to the legendary BMW R 5, the fixed tubes of the telescopic forks are housed within fork sleeves. The front suspension boasts a fixed fork tube diameter of 49 mm, with 120 mm of travel, while the rear suspension offers 90 mm of travel. The bike is equipped with a twin disc brake at the front and a single disc brake at the rear, complemented by four-piston fixed calipers. Its stylish appearance is enhanced by alloy wheels, measuring 3.5 x 21″ at the front with 120/70 B 21 tires and 5.5 x 18″ at the rear with 180/55 B 18 tires.
Remaining true to the BMW Motorrad philosophy, the R 18 Roctane adopts a relaxed and active riding position with its casual “mid-mounted footpeg” placement, situated behind the cylinders. This position not only reflects BMW’s characteristic approach but also facilitates optimal control and comfort.
BMW R 18 Roctane Key Features
- Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1,802 cc.
- Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4, 750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3,000 rpm.
- More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2,000 to 4,000 rpm.
- Open propeller shaft drive based on the classic role model.
- Exhaust system and star counter nuts in Dark Chrome.
- Elaborately manufactured double-loop tubular steel frame.
- Rear swinging arm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
- Telescopic forks with sleeves and cantilever suspension strut featuring travel-dependent damping.
- Well-balanced ergonomics with high handlebars ensure relaxed riding and optimum control.
- Front and rear disc brakes and cast alloy wheels, 21-inch at front and 18-inch at rear.
- Side covers with emblem.
- Headlight housing with the integrated classic round instrument.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
- Adaptive headlight for even better illumination of the road when cornering as optional equipment ex-factory.
- Keyless Ride for convenient activation of functions remotely (ignition on/off).
- Manual steering lock (with key): Locking on the right-hand side of the handlebar tube:
- Cases are locked manually (with a key).
- Three riding modes, as well as ASC and engine, drag control as standard.
- Reversing aid for convenient maneuvering and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as optional equipment ex-factory.
- Heated grips, anti-theft alarm, TPM, and 35 kW version as optional equipment ex-factory.
- Extensive range of optional equipment and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a laid-back Ride & Style Collection.
Related News: BMW Motorrad R 18 B Heavy Duty