The new FX30 is a 4K Super 35 compact cinema camera that offers many professional features of the Cinema Line, such as Dual Base ISO, Log shooting modes, and user-imported LUTs (Look Up Tables) at a price point that appeals to many aspiring filmmakers.
The FX30 offers up-and-coming filmmakers’ cinematic expression with the latest imaging systems. It features a new back-illuminated 20.1 megapixels APS-C Exmor R™ CMOS sensor (Super 35 format) with a dual base ISO (800/2500) to deliver high sensitivity, low noise, and 14+ stops of latitude.
The ILME-FX30 supports a variety of video recording codecs. It can shoot 4K Super 35 (16:9) by oversampling from 6K at up to 60fps. The ILME-FX30B also features the ability to shoot in high frame rates, including 4K at 120fps and full HD at 240fps. Both16:9 recording modes can shoot at 10-bit 4:2:2 while an HDMI Type-A connector can be used to output 4K, 16-bit RAW to an external recorder.
Like the rest of the Cinema Line, the FX30 features Log shooting modes by enabling Cine El, Cine El Quick, and Flexible ISO modes for recording with the S-Log3 gamma curve, which allows more flexibility when colour grading. All three modes allow video shooting while monitoring with an appropriate LUT to preview the final image. In addition, the FX30 includes a selection of built-in cinematic looks, such as Sony’s S-Cinetone™, and can shoot single stills. The camera offers advanced image processing capabilities with the BIONZ XR processing engine for natural gradations and realistic colour reproduction.
The FX30 features Sony’s fast and reliable autofocus, with settings including:
- Real-time Eye AF (human, animal, or bird)
- Real-time Tracking
- Detailed AF settings
- AF Assist
Creatives also have more control when using the Focus Map[vi], which makes it easy to visualise depth of field, and Breathing Compensation offers a stable angle of view when focusing. The camera also includes effective stabilisation for run and gun shoots using Active Mode[viii] thanks to the optical in-body 5-axis image stabilisation and time code sync.
The FX30 incorporates other features that retain the spirit of the Cinema Line, including:
- New customisable list-style main menu screen which provides quick access to frequently used items
- New standby movie screenthat provides an unobstructed view of the subject
- Buttons and dials dedicated to movie shooting
The FX30 also includes added functionality to assist with the creative workflow, such as post-production editing using embedded LUT, and EI metadata. This metadata is available using the latest version of Sony’s Catalyst Prepare or Catalyst Browse applications. A new “Catalyst Prepare Plugin” for Adobe Premiere Pro was released in August.
Compact and lightweight, the FX30 has a flat-top design with threaded accessory attachment points, making it easy to use for shooting handheld, capturing low-angle shots, mounting on a gimbal, or adding accessories. The FX30 also features an XLR handle unit[xii], which can be used to capture low-angle shots and also allows filmmakers to capture crystal clear audio through various audio inputs, including two XLR audio inputs and a 3.5 mm stereo mini jack for 4-channel recording. External microphones can be connected directly to the camera via the Multi Interface Shoe or microphone jack. The FX30 also features an internal stereo microphone for audio recording.
The FX30 and FX30B are equipped with two memory card slots that are compatible with both CFexpress Type A cards and SDXC/SDHC cards, bringing wide range of shooting experiences to creators. The FX30 is also compatible with the newly announced large-capacity CFexpress Type A memory cards.
The FX30 offers not only advanced performance but also outstanding reliability. It features an innovative heat dissipation structure for uninterrupted 4K/60p recording, reliable power for extended recording, and a durable magnesium alloy chassis. A comprehensive selection of E-mount lenses, high-performance microphones, and other essential components gives creators extraordinarily flexible systems for a broad range of creative needs.
Sony Cinema Line FX30 Super 35 Camera – $2,199.99
- 20.1 MP Exmor R™ APS-C (Super 35mm format) image sensor with a wide dynamic range
- S-Cinetone for a cinematic look straight out of the camera without grading
- Flexible ISO, Cine EI Quick, and Cine EI Log shooting modes for optimized image quality
- User LUTs can be applied to the LCD display and HDMI output and embedded in clips
- Dual Base ISO and a 14+ stop range for wide latitude and low-noise images
- Log recording for smooth cinematic image quality when color grading
- Dependable, accurate autofocus with Real-time Eye and Real-time Tracking AF
- Image stabilization Active Mode supports handheld movie shooting
- Extensive recording formats for high image quality and advanced post-production
- Creative slow-motion options with up to 4K (QFHD) 120p with autofocus
- 4K 16-bit RAW output from HDMI terminal for compatible external recorders
- A selection of Creative Looks to create interesting moods right in the camera
- Sophisticated focus functions to handle any situation
- Uninterrupted 4K 60p recording with cooling fan ventilation
- Metadata to facilitate editing with Catalyst Browse and Prepare software
- Proxy recording for efficient editing workflow
- XLR handle unit for high-quality external audio input
- Time code input synchronization capability
- Still image shooting function
- New list-style main menu for quick access to frequently used items
- Flexible, high-resolution touch-panel LCD monitor
- Broad connectivity for a wide range of shooting needs
- Dual card slots, both compatible with CFexpress Type A and SDXC/SDHC
- Recording (tally) lamps and emphasized record displays
- Comprehensive zoom control
- Uninterrupted power for extended recording by USB PD support
- Multiple ¼”-20 threaded mounting points make a cage unnecessary
- Compact, a lightweight body designed for mobility
- Dust and moisture resistant design to handle challenging environments
- Durable magnesium alloy chassis
- One Mount: connect seamlessly with E-mount interchangeable lenses
Sony Cinema Line FX30 Super 35 Camera More Information