New Zealand company Manta5 has opened a whole new frontier for cycling, offering the world’s first hydrofoil bike that replicates the cycling experience on the water, creating a new sport for anyone seeking a thrill. Technology and innovation have been at the heart of the company’s approach to creating a new experience that combines sport and entertainment.
A hydrofoil is a lifting surface, or foil, that operates in water. Hydrofoils are similar in appearance and purpose to the wings on an airplane. The most famous example of hydrofoil use, on water, is Team New Zealand’s America’s Cup yacht. As with Team NZ’s yacht, the Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1 uses two carbon fiber hydrofoils to provide enough lift to raise the body of the bike, and rider out of the water.
Hydrofoiler XE-1 Features
- The Hydrofoiler XE-1 ride time is 1-4 hours dependent on the level of electrical assist (7 levels of assist available)
- The battery is IPX8 waterproof.
- The Hydrofoiler XE-1 uses a 460-watt motor.
- The bike weighs 30.5kilograms (fully assembled)
- The maximum speed currently achievable on the Hydrofoiler XE-1 is 22 km/h (11 knots)
- Relaunch from deep water by performing a submerged launch.
- Easy transportation, modular design to be able to fit into the back of a car and can also be transported using a roof or bike rack.
- Handles ocean chop and moderate swell well.
- The feeling of riding the Hydrofoiler XE-1 is like nothing else. No roads, no traffic, and an open-space riding experience. There is no hull so you can see into the water as you ride. The electric motor is quiet, not disturbing the natural tranquility -but the battery still offers a level of assistance for up to 60 minutes on a single charge.
- The bike by itself is buoyant, so it floats on its own for easy retrieval. In order to keep the bike practical for transport and storage, buoyancy has been kept to a minimum. When a rider stops pedaling the bike, their combined weight will submerge under the water up to about chest level. But, unlike other hydrofoil products, the rider can re-mount a stationary bike from underwater (an acquired skill with bragging rights) and perform a ‘submerged launch’ to get going again. Manta5 is the first to introduce this feature in any hydrofoil product.
- The bike has been designed for use in fresh and salt water. Much like other water sports equipment, the Hydrofoiler XE-1 simply requires a more thorough wash following a salt-water ride.
- The rear wingspan is 2 meters long and able to fit inside the back of a car.
- The front wing is 1.2 meters long
- Our specific wing combination is “general purpose”, and can be used on the widest range of ‘water-terrains’ E.g. Lakes, rivers, and the ocean.
- The Hydrofoiler XE-1 is optimized for riders that weigh between 70-90 kilograms.
- The carbon fiber reinforced nylon propeller creates a perfect balance producing thrust at low speed and reducing drag at top speed.
- A streamlined profile makes the bike hydro and aerodynamically efficient. The current top speed is recorded at 22km/h
- Bluetooth Connectivity
- Hydrofoiler XE-1 retails for $8,990 USD / €7.990 EU. (taxes not included)