Twenty years ago, the first Suzuki V-Strom was released as a new generation sports adventure tourer. Its liquid-cooled four-stroke, 90-degree V-twin DOHC engine featured four valves per cylinder paired to an advanced, lightweight aluminum twin-spar frame. With this combination, the V-Strom gained its popularity through being a highly versatile adventure tourer with an eager and sporting personality, offering remarkable quality, reliable engineering, and exceptional value.
There were few adventures V-Strom motorcycles could not excel at, handling a variety of riding environments with confidence, no matter where they traveled, or how far the rider wished to journey. With over 50,000 V-Strom motorcycles sold around the world since 2002, and iconic styling inspired by Suzuki’s legendary DR-Big Dakar race bikes being adopted with the 2014 model year, the Suzuki V-Strom has proven itself and evolved as an adventure touring motorcycle providing exceptional riding enjoyment and value. For 2023, the updated V-STROM 1050 line once again, raises the bar.
Similar to 20 years ago, the product concept for the 2023 V-STROM 1050 models continue to have riding adventure in mind, no matter where the journey takes a rider. Thoroughly Engineered for the Unexpected, the new V-STROM 1050DE/Adventure provides class-leading engineering and is laden with features to augment adventure riding performance and provide riders unequaled value. This objective encompasses the vision and engineering efforts Suzuki undertook to further enhance this landmark motorcycle, and increase its riding capabilities, no matter the journey, adventure, or destination.
The V-STROM 1050DE/Adventure models’ proven V-twin engine rides in a chassis with increased ground clearance to accommodate new 21-inch front and 17-inch rear spoke-style wheels with more aggressive Dunlop Adventure tires. The DE/Adventure also gains a longer rake and wheelbase for more control off-road, providing longer suspension travel to better absorb bumps on rough terrain, as well as wide steel foot pegs, and a large diameter tapered aluminum handlebar to help tame off-road adventures.
A new 5-inch color TFT LCD multi-function instrument panel clearly displays the expanded Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) settings that have been updated specifically for the V-STROM 1050 DE/Adventure models and features a new Gravel (G) mode to the Suzuki Traction Control System and the ability to switch off the rear ABS system. The V-STROM 1050DE/Adventure further emphasizes the aggressive look of its Suzuki Dakar race bike-inspired styling with its unique front fender, stout aluminum engine protector, and rugged accessory bar.
2023 Suzuki V-Strom 1050DE Adventure Features
- 21” Front Wheel – Rides on stronger spoke-style wheels and adopts a 21-inch aluminum front rim for greater stability and control when riding on unpaved surfaces. The 90/90-21 Dunlop TRAILMAX MIXTOUR tire in the front and 150/70R17 Dunlop TRAILMAX MIXTOUR tire in the rear feature a semi-block pattern and an internal structure designed exclusively for the V-STROM 1050DE/Adventure models.
- New Gravel (G) Mode – Unique to the V-STROM 1050DE/Adventure models is a new, additional Gravel (G) mode within the S.I.R.S. Suzuki Traction Control System. The Gravel mode retards ignition timing to help the rider better negotiate gravel roads by allowing some slip when riding on unpaved surfaces. Also unique to the V-STROM 1050DE/Adventure is the ability to switch off the rear ABS for improved performance on gravel and other unpaved surfaces.
- Updated Six-Speed Transmission – An updated transmission uses revised first and sixth gears offering smoother shifting and better integration with the new Bi-Directional Quick Shift System.
- Updated Ride-By Wire Throttle – The Ride-by-Wire electronic throttle system is updated to take advantage of the powerful 32-bit ECM to control the action of the throttle valves with more finely tuned settings that better balance the relationship between throttle action and engine output characteristics.
- New Chassis Geometry – New, dedicated chassis geometry with a longer wheelbase, longer rake, increased ground clearance, and a wider, thicker aluminum handlebar. This refined geometry helps improve stability and controllability when riding on unpaved surfaces. This new chassis geometry also provides a comfortable riding position that effectively distributes weight for more aggressive off-road riding.
- Increased Ground Clearance – With the redesigned suspension, front wheel diameter, and chassis geometry, the V-STROM 1050DE/Adventure models’ ground clearance is 1.0 in. higher than the V-STROM 1050, further enhancing off-road capability.
- Longer Rear Wheel Travel – Updates to the rear suspension result in longer 6.6 in. (168 mm) rear wheel travel. This is an increase of 0.3 in. (8 mm) over the prior V-STROM 1050XT model’s rear wheel travel.
- Fully Adjustable Front Suspension – Updated, fully adjustable, inverted KYB 34-mm front forks offer longer front suspension travel, and are fully adjustable for spring pre-load, compression, and rebound damping to optimize performance to the rider’s preference.
- Adjustable Link-Type Rear Suspension – The movement of the new, longer cast aluminum swingarm is controlled by a single rear KYB shock absorber with remote, hydraulic spring preload adjustment, allowing rear suspension adjustment for cargo or a passenger taking just seconds. The single-shock, the link-style rear suspension also features rebound-damping force adjustment.
- Longer, Stronger Swingarm – Utilizes a longer swingarm, reengineered with enhanced torsional rigidity to allow for increased suspension travel.
- Stronger Sub Frame – A new sub-frame with stronger seat rails, battery, and rear fender brackets has been developed to better withstand the rigors of riding on unpaved surfaces.
- Durable Engine Accessory Bar – A standard engine accessory bar not only helps protect the frame and other vulnerable parts, and offers both rugged styling, as well as a sturdy location for mounting other accessories like the available LED fog lamps. LED fog lamps are standard on the Adventure model.
- Off-Road Designed Windscreen – Unique, smaller windscreen designed to maximize visibility when riding on dirt trails and gravel roads. Over three inches (80 mm) shorter and slightly narrower than the standard V-STROM 1050 model’s windscreen, it has been thoroughly developed and evaluated to help reduce wind buffeting to the rider’s helmet.
- Wider, Thicker Handlebar – New 1.57-inch wider (40 mm overall, 20 mm per side) tapered aluminum handlebar. Cast in thicker tubing from a softer grade of aluminum than the standard V-STROM 1050 handlebar, this construction allows more flex when riding on unpaved surfaces, and better shock absorption for greater rider comfort.
- Three-Piece Front Fender – A new three-piece front fender assembly that combines the effectiveness of a conventional V-STROM fender with the protection of fork guards similar to those used on off-road race bikes results in stronger protection while off-road.
- Wider Steel Footpegs – Offering better rider support when standing during off-road riding. These DE/Adventure-specific footpegs also offer longer bank sensors to compensate for the DE/Adventure models’ increased front wheel size.
- Rugged Aluminum Engine Protector – Adopts a rugged aluminum engine protector to help protect vital components in harsh off-road conditions.
- Stronger Drive Chain – Utilizes a stronger drive chain with sturdier links and larger diameter pins achieving increased durability while off-road.
- DE/Adventure-specific Center-Stand – Equipped with longer, model-specific side- and center-stands. The sturdy center-stand is a standard feature aiding riders when servicing the motorcycle or loading luggage.
- Adventure Aluminum Side Cases – The V-STROM 1050DE Adventure comes standard with 37L aluminum side cases, mounted on sturdy removable brackets. Embossed with the Suzuki logo, these heavy-duty side cases can accept 6.6-lbs (3kg) of gear. These side cases are also available as a Genuine Suzuki accessory for non-Adventure DE and standard V-STROM 1050s.
- LED Fog Lamps – The V-STROM 1050DE Adventure also includes a set of Suzuki’s LED fog lamps providing additional road illumination and motorcycle visibility to other traffic while drawing less wattage compared to conventional lights.
- USB Accessory Slot – A USB-type accessory slot is conveniently located to the left of the TFT instrument panel. This fused slot can provide up to 5.0 VDC at a maximum current of 2.0A. The slot is ideal for powering a GPS unit or charging mobile devices.
- Under-Seat DC Socket – A SAE 12-volt, 36W DC socket is located under the passenger seat (electrical accessory wattage should not exceed 12W when the engine is operated at low speeds). This convenient outlet can be used to charge or power a range of electrical devices.
- 5” TFT LCD screen – An all-new full-color 5-inch TFT display is the first of its kind on a Suzuki Adventure motorcycle. With both a day and night mode, this new display offers adventure tourers a complete menu of information –including a digital representation of an analog tachometer and the ability to track of 24 different systems on the bike.
- Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) – Essential to Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) operation, the V-STROM 1050’s new IMU measures six directions of movement along three axes. The IMU constantly monitors pitch, roll, and yaw movement based on the motorcycle’s position, movement, and acceleration.
- Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) – Motion Track Anti-lock & Combination Brake System, Hill Hold Control System, Slope Dependent Control System, and Load Dependent Control System assist braking performance in a variety of conditions. Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS), new updated Cruise Control and Bi-Directional Quick Shift systems, and Traction Control System. Each element of S.I.R.S. provides V-STROM 1050 riders stress-free convenience, enhancing long-distance tours, off-road adventures, commuting, or riding in a variety of conditions.
- CAN (Controller Area Network) Technology – Now employs an interconnected information network instead of a conventional wiring harness. Requiring fewer wires, this CAN-wiring lets the bike be lighter and simpler and provides a way for the advanced aspects of the Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) to achieve faster data transmission with the ECM.
- Hollow Sodium-Filled Exhaust Valves – These valves help reduce combustion chamber temperatures, improving flow efficiency and durability. 2023 V-STROM 1050 is the first Suzuki motorcycle to have these valves installed.
- LED Lighting – The fairing features a stacked, rectangular LED headlight for excellent road and trail illumination while matching Suzuki’s Dakar Rally bike styling. The low-draw LED turn signals are brighter than the signals used on the prior generation V-Strom models. The rear tail and brake light is an LED type with a clear lens that offers higher visibility, low electrical draw, and excellent durability.
- Adjustable Rider Seat – The height of the rider seat may be adjusted an additional 0.8 inches (20mm). Adjustment is performed using an included tool and height riser stored beneath the pillion seat.