The name John Howe is not the most well-known, but most are familiar with his universe and designs: John Howe is the artistic designer for Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” trilogies. A fantasy prodigy who has lived in Neuchâtel for 30 years, and who is once again in the spotlight with “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power”, which will be released on September 2nd.
Jaquet Droz and John Howe have much in common – the ability to create extraordinary worlds, to give life to wonderful things and emotions, to create animations that speak to the heart and soul – and this is what has brought them together. The ability to astonish, to amaze, to move.
Together, Jaquet Droz and John Howe worked as they have always done – with paper, pencil, and lots of ideas. The theme of their watchmaking collaboration soon became clear: the Dragon. It traverses John Howe’s universe as it does millennia, cultures, and continents.
Jaquet Droz wanted this Dragon to be alive. And beyond that, with a total of 9 animations, it is probably one of the most complex modern automaton watches ever designed. The sequence that animates it is random, in order to preserve all its magic and mystery. The sacred animal’s spine undulates like its tail; its eye and jaw open and close; its tongue moves; its crest rises and falls; its claws grasp a continuously rotating stone.
In accordance with the new Jaquet Droz Vision 8.0, the manufacture in La Chaux-de-Fonds now only produce unique orders for clients who are themselves unique.
The 43 mm case is finished in the gold of your choice, and Jaquet Droz is already working on the opportunity of using other materials, such as sapphire. The case can either be engraved or left blank. The solid dial can be fully customized, engraved or replaced by a medallion in the stone of your choice. The Dragon, also made of gold and entirely engraved by hand, can have its scales more or less accentuated. It would be futile to list all the possibilities, as they are nearly limitless.
Jaquet Droz Dragon Automaton Specs.
- Movement: Jaquet Droz 6150, self-winding mechanical movement, silicon balance spring and pallet horns, flat bridges, 18-karat red gold oscillating weight with signature JH and black treatment. Automaton with animation of different parts of the dragon, push-button automaton triggering mechanism.
- Indications: Off-centered hours and minutes
- Jewelling: 78 rubies for the automaton movement + 29 rubies for the hour and minute movement
- Power Reserve: 38 hours
- Frequency: 21,600 v.p.h.
- Case: Hand-engraved 18-karat red gold case, with black treatment in the engraving. Diameter 43 mm. Height 16.96 mm. Customization, identified as a unique piece by a hand-engraving on the case-back.
- Diameter: 43 mm
- Water Resistance: To 3 bar (30 meters)
- Dial: Onyx dial and subdial, mountain decor in 18-karat white gold and hand-painted, engraved mother-of-pearl. Dragon elements in hand-engraved 18-karat red gold with gray treatment. Hand-painted steel eye and tongue. Labradorite ball.
- Hands: 18-karat red gold
- Strap: Rolled-edge by hand black alligator
- Buckle: 18-karat red gold folding clasp
Jaquet Droz Dragon Automaton More Information