Presenting a dream collaboration between Edifice and two landmark works of motorsport-themed manga penned by Shuichi Shigeno. This new watch is based on the original ECB-2000, which was designed to convey the motorsports worldview. The all-new collaborative design captures the dynamic realism of the street-racing world depicted in the two manga series. The watch even pays homage to the two Toyota models that feature in the manga — the AE86 and the Toyota GT86, which share the nickname “Hachi-Roku” (Japanese for “Eight-Six”). A special must-have edition for fans of cars, racing, and — of course — these manga masterworks.
Initial D & MF Ghost
Works of manga and anime originally penned by Shuichi Shigeno. Initial D first appeared in 1995 as a manga series printed in Young Magazine from Kodansha Ltd. Running for 18 years, the work was published in 48 volumes, selling more than 56 million copies. It is still beloved by many fans as a legendary work about the world of street racing. MF GHOST first appeared in Weekly Young Magazine in 2017, as a sequel to the previous work, getting off to a new start with stories about street-based car racing battles set in the not-so-distant future. An anime adaptation for TV is set to premiere in 2023.
Casio Edifice Initial D x MF Ghost Features
- The watch design evokes the look of the TOYOTA GT86 driven by the protagonist in the manga with vibrant accents of metallic red on the bezel and dial, along with design features inspired by the car’s grille pattern and tachometer. The outer surface of the band, which is made with highly durable CORDURA® nylon fabric, displays the names of racing courses that appear in the work. The case back is engraved with the title logos of both manga series.
- The watch also features a motif inspired by the Toyota Sprinter Trueno, a.k.a. the AE86, driven by the protagonist. The underside of the band, which is finished in black leather material, displays the familiar lettering that appears on the side of the manga’s AE86: “Fujiwara Tofu Shop (Private Use).” Moreover, the black IP-finished case back includes the engraved Initial D title logo. Fans are sure to be delighted as they turn the watch over to find these and other iconic, ever-popular elements from the manga featured in the design.
- The base of the dial and underside of the band are emblazoned with the characters (Gyaaa!, a sound effect imitating a racing car screeching across the roadway) that fans will have seen splashed across the pages of Initial D and MF GHOST. The street racing scenes’ dynamic realism is captured by adopting the very look and feel of their manga depictions. On the metal band loop is a laser-engraved design that represents the tyre track of a drifting car, burning rubber. The watch presents an homage to the innovative, full-throttle style of Shuichi Shigeno’s manga worlds.
- The watch is based on the ECB-2000, which features a unique suspension arm design. Inspired by the double wishbone suspension used in formula race cars with pairs of upper and lower forked arms, the lugs that connect the bands to the case are configured in a four-arm arrangement. Carbon fibre-reinforced resin is used as the case material, delivering both strength and lightness.
- Smartphone pairing via Bluetooth® delivers accurate timekeeping and makes it easy to configure various functions from the app, including world time. In addition to the watch’s 200-lap memory for the stopwatch timer, it allows data transfer to the app, as well.
- Allows approximately seven months of operation from a full charge without solar charging.
- A high-luminosity double LED illuminates the dial and the LCD.
- An anti-reflective coating is applied to the inner surface of the watch crystal to enhance dial viewability.
Casio Edifice Initial D x MF Ghost More Information
Related Content: Casio EQB-2000HR Honda Racing Red Edition